Now that you’re familiar with the dashboard, it’s time to start thinking about the type of content you want to create. Even if you’ve been blogging regularly for years, this is a good opportunity to revisit and refine your site’s focus.
So what’s your focus going to be?
Here are four questions to help you narrow it down:
1. What’s your goal?
2. What topics are you most interested in?
3. What’s your perspective?
4. Who’s your target audience?
If you like, use your answers to the above questions to write up a mission statement to help guide you as you plan for future posts.
If you’re struggling to choose a blog topic, ask yourself a few questions about the information you have in front of you:
- Of all of the blog ideas I came up with, which one am I most likely to be able to create content about for a week, a month, or a year?
- Which group of words feels closest to my original reason for checking out WordPress.com in the first place?
- Do I already have a reputation among friends, family or colleagues for expertise in one of these broad areas? Do people often praise my knowledge, passion, or skill in (insert topic)?
- What would my first three posts be about? Am I passionate enough about the topic to want to start writing right now?
Don’t worry if you’re still a bit unsure about your blog’s specific focus — there’ll be plenty of time to figure it out as you go along.